The Jack W. and Shirley Berger Scholars Award was established in 1988 to assist and encourage students entering college to attain academic excellence within a secular institution. Recipients of this scholarship are encouraged, through the honorary recognition it confers as well as the stipend assistance it provides, to further the humanitarian principles and ideals to which Mr. and Mrs. Berger have been dedicated. You do not need to be Jewish to apply for this scholarship. Multiple awards up to $10,000 each are available and can be renewable if a 3.0 GPA is maintained. Maximum award for 4 years of undergraduate study is up to $40,000.
- In order to qualify for this scholarship, you MUST meet the following criteria:
- Exhibit financial need
- Reside in Cuyahoga, Geauga, Portage or Summit Counties
- Be a high school senior
- Minimum 3.5 high school GPA
- Minimum 1850 SAT or 28 ACT
- Take a college course in comparative religion after award
- Full time student seeking a secular education
- Students must submit grades each year
In order to complete your online application, you must attach the following documents to this application:
- A copy of your own personal and your parents’ 2016 1040 federal income tax form (or most recent)
- A copy of your FAFSA/SAR for 2018-2019
- Your most recent grades and ACT/SAT scores
- Proof of college acceptance(s)
- Recent photo of student for award announcements
- Resume including the following criteria: awards/honors/accomplishments, volunteer work, extra curricular activities.
After review, students will be contacted if they are selected for an interview.